Requirements to take RN license may vary slightly in each state. Please contact National Council for State Boards of Nursing for specific information
National Council of State Boards of Nursing
676 N. St. Clair, Suite 550
Chicago, IL 60611-2921
Telephone: 312-787-6555 OR 312-787-6555
Web site: https://www.ncsbn.org/index.htm
REQUIREMENTS IN NEW YORK STATE
There is a two-step process for obtaining a registered nurse license in the New York State.
- Applicants who have completed RN education outside of the US must have their education credentials verified by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS).
- Forms and transcripts from the originating institution must be mailed directly to the CGFNS in a sealed envelope bearing the institution’s name and address. It may take 8 weeks or more for verification to be completed.
– CGFNS looks at Nursing School transcripts, education history, and licensure from home country.
- After educational credentials are verified by CGFNS, they are forwarded to and evaluated by the New York State Education Department.
Contact CGFNS at:
The Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS)
PO Box 8628
Philadelphia, PA 19101-8628
- After receiving a letter of approval of your education from the New York State Education Department (NYSED) , you may apply for NCLEX examination developed by National Council of State Board of Nursing (NCSBN) and administered by Pearson VUE.
- You may register for examination via online (vue.com/nclex) or by mailing the form. Contact number for Pearson VUE is 1-866-496-2539.
- If you are registering via online, open the link and then select “Register” option. You can pay the registration fee by using Master card, Visa card or American express.
- You are required to complete Form 1- Application for licensure (may download the form from http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/nurse/nurse1.pdf
Submit Form 1 with $143 licensure and first registration fee to the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions (address is located at the end of Form1).
Fees are subject to change. Make your personal check or money order payable to the New York State Education Department. Your cancelled check is your receipt. Payment submitted from outside the United States should be made by check or draft on a United States bank and in United States currency.
Your signature on Form 1 must be notarized by a notary Public.
- You will be required to provide valid immigration status documentation. e.g. green card, work permit
- In New York State, you are required to have Child Abuse and Infection Control certifications from NYSED approved courses. However, these are NOT required at the time of application. You need to complete and submit the forms prior to obtaining the RN license.
You may submit exemption to Child Abuse Form (Form 1 CE). This form is not for all applicants. Use this form only if you are applying for an exemption to the requirement to complete training or coursework in the identification of child abuse and maltreatment because the nature of your practice excludes contact with persons under the age of 18 and persons 18 or older with a handicapping condition who reside in a residential care school or facility. Form available at. http://www.op.nysed.gov/documents/form1ce.pdf
You may qualify for an exemption to the infection control coursework requirement if you can demonstrate to NYSED that: (1) you took infection control training that is equivalent to the infection control coursework required by NYSED; or, (2) taking infection control coursework is not necessary due to the nature of your nursing practice.
Form available at http://www.op.nysed.gov/documents/form1ic.pdf
- If the NYSED requires additional information, they will contact you.
- English proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELETS) are not required if you are taking NCLEX examination. However, it is required if you are seeking one year limit permit.
- Reasonable testing accommodation- If you have a disability and may require reasonable testing accommodations for the examination, you must complete and submit a Request for Reasonable Testing Accommodations form. Please be sure to check the box in item 8 of your Application for Licensure (Form 1) if you are requesting accommodations. Web site at op.nysed.gov/documents/pls1ra.pdf
You will be notified in writing as to whether or not your request for accommodations has been approved.
A copy of your accommodation approval must be attached to your NCLEX examination registration form.
IF YOU NEED FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact NYS Education Department
Office of the Professions
PO Box 22063
Albany, NY 12201
Phone # 518-474-3817, Extension 120
- Check the following website